Saturday, July 4, 2009

Daddy Time



My husband works night shifts like I do, but I get off work on schedule while he usually leaves early and gets home late because of the workload and demands.

However, I make sure that Fridays (1 of his 2 rest days) is dedicated to Daddy Day. This does not mean that he's in charge of taking care of our son, diaper duty and so on but just quality time with him. They watch TV together, spend time playing, he feeds him lunch, and go out for a stroll.

I think it's important that he grows up knowing his father, no matter how busy he is. During normal workdays, we spend time with the little man no more than 3 hours a day, and that's divided: An hour before we leave, about 2 hours before we doze off. One of our primary concerns as working parents is that we may be raising a parentless child. To make sure we don't, one way is to strictly follow our scheduled Mommy Days and Daddy Days.

Activities during these days do not have to be expensive, tiring or strictly planned. Just spending time with our little one, no matter the activity (sometimes when I make dinner, I make my little man sit on his bouncer to watch me as I talk to him), what's important is that we are visible and he feels us.

We have a nanny that looks after him during the days and times when we can't. But when we can, we make sure we DO.

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment