Friday, July 3, 2009

Supermarket Secrets Revealed


I like grocery shopping. Especially in big supermarkets. It's a great workout. I get to walk an estimated 2 kilometers (depending on the size of the place) per shopping day.

I don't shop in just 1 supermarket. No particular reason, i just don't. This is what made me notice a few things.

1. All the supermarkets I shop at have their on-sale items by the entrance, and these on-sale items are of the Supermarket's own personal brand. To give you an idea, my favorite SM Supermarket's "Bonus" items, which are really good buys, are always placed by the entrance near the shopping carts. Hmmm, i wonder why...

2. In the Candies and Chocolates aisle, the interestingly packaged and colorful ones are placed in the lowest shelves where they're within kids' eye level and easy for them to grab. They put the expensive and high-end chocolates and candies at the middle to the top shelves, where they're easily seen by adults. So watch what your little one tosses in your shopping cart!

3. Impulse Products - while waiting for your turn at the checkout counter, you tend to review your shopping cart for anything you've missed out on. So while waiting in line, you see a stack of products that you don't regularly buy ---such as batteries, toothbrushes, shavers. Then we think as we wait "do i need to change my clock's batteries? When was the last time I changed them?Yeah, i think i do..." --- lo and behold, they're right there.

4. The items that we do regularly buy, such as meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, laundry detergents, shampoo and soaps, are put in the far most lanes. Almost at the end of the supermarket. Ever wonder why? I have. I think that's to make us go between the lanes of items we did not really go to the supermarket for (and end up buying them) ---- before reaching the lane of items we really planned on buying. Talk about technique! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment