Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Mom's 2nd Shot at Motherhood


My relationship with my mother can be described in many different ways.

But one thing is for sure: our attitude towards almost everything is the same. And instead of complimenting each other, we clash. Although we laugh about it, most often we do not.

Since I gave birth to my son, my mom has become extra "everything". Extra strict, extra hot tempered, extra careful, extra watchful, like I said, extra everything. But I think I have an idea why. I am an only child. And it has been 26 years since she felt like a mother who is in control of her child's life. As we bud, our parents gradually let us go to let us grow.
I realize that my mother is not trying to stick her nose to how I'm raising my son. She's not meddling with my parenting style or contesting it. She's not trying to cross the line. She's drawing another one for herself. Which, is perfectly fine.

Being a grandmother is my mother's --- every mother's 2nd shot at motherhood. This is their 2nd chance to do things right. Every mother may have regrets of what kind of parent they were or they became. At some point, they have thought of "could have beens". "I could have been this and that", "i should have done this or that" or "if only I were this and that".

This --- being a grandparent --- is their chance to be parents again. This is their 2nd chance at motherhood. She misses it. She misses being needed. She misses hearing "Mom, I want more food." or "Mom, read me a story."

So I will let her. Because someday, when my son is grown and is a dad, I know I will want the same 2nd chance my mom wants right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment